Sunday, January 15, 2012

New Beginnings


When I started my blog a while back, I wasn't really sure what I wanted it to be a blog about. I knew I had so many things I wanted to say, and share. (For those that know me, I am sure you are SHOCKED and amazed, lol) However over the last week or so, I have now discovered what I want to share. I have realized that my generation, or at least a great percentage of them were not blessed with the knowledge of how to do things from scratch, or from homemade. I know now how blessed I was learn all those things from my grandmother and mother. How to till a garden, how to plant and harvest, well, just about anything this Missouri soil will allow. I was taught how to sew, crochet, how to make my own cleaning products (grandma was a vinegar fan.....) I learned from friends how to make soap, grandma taught me how to smoke (meat that is....lol , she would die if she thought you thought otherwise...), not to even begin to mention how to cut up a chicken, or meat in general, how to make bread, pie, the list is long. I have teared up several time the last few weeks thinking that all this wealth of knowledge I have taken for granted is so valuable. I assumed that everyone KNEW this stuff. I assumed that people just chose NOT to do them. I am learning that just isn't the case. I grew up in a home where when you made something you would would NEVER say, "I made it from scratch" or "its homemade" the assumption was it was homemade, and if it wasn't you should be ready for the ribbing you were going to get.
Now before you give up on my blog because you aren't interested in learning about how to make your own soap, chop up a chicken, or make a pie, I want you to know there is more to it. I am not here to make any person feel bad that they don't want this life style. NO, I will be sharing stories about how I learned these thing, interesting facts I have acquired along the way about why or how something may have come about. If you already know this stuff, I want you to know that I am well aware that MY way isn't the only way, and I have only learned these things through the graciousness of others. So please read and feel very free to share your experiences. I am a sponge, I always have been. I spend the biggest part of my day seeking out new things, learning keeps me motivated.
I guess the biggest reason I am doing this is for some dear people ( one very special one) I know who are trying to live a simple life in a complex world. They want to provide for their families, and teach their children themselves. In this economy it isn't easily done. Some want to provide for their families a more safe source of food, without all the added preservatives, chemicals and other things. So, I decided it is time to put it all down, for whoever might find it useful. SO, if you are someone who wants to know just for a back up plan, in case something ever happens, it for you, if you are someone who just wants to read my adventure and see what God is doing for me, read on, if you are wanting to be self sufficient or are trying your hand at homesteading, this is a good place for you.......... I hope and pray that this is direction I am supposed to take and that God will bless everyone who reads, and he will use it to benefit many.......... Next post will be about PIE CRUST........... It won't be just a recipe.....it will be the fine details like my Grandmother shared with me. Thanks for looking!

2 comments:

  1. This is very cool....you not only know alot of things....but are blessed with the gift of words to know how to inspire and share that wisdom. Enjoy all things with you my bff Crystal

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, Sandie, I miss you and I count you one contributor to my knowledge. Goats and soap......lol and a lot of other things I am sure. I will call you Monday. I am felling so much better today.

      Delete